Monday, May 2, 2011

***WARNING - THIS POST IS A RANT******

Okay. I'm a piano teacher. I have been a piano teacher for 20 years now. For the first time in 20 years, I had a student unprepared for NYSSMA. Ya know why? Because I SCREWED UP!! Not the kid. Not the parents. ME. I have taken full responsibility in not being ready for this child. Explained to the parents and the student that I wasn't comfortable sending him unprepared. They got it. They understood. Case closed, righT?
NO! I decided that I would try to get the student to finish preparing his piece and enroll him in another festival if there was availability and that he could get recognized for his performance. Music director was more than happy to allow the child into the festival. If we wanted to be formal about it though, we should go through his school district so he can be recognized and receive a medal for his performance (standard procedure). Well, I just got off the phone with his district and could not be more disgusted with the director of music. He will not formally register him or allow him to send his paperwork through because the student didn't show up to the festival. He's heard all the excuses before and will not allow it. THere is no more filing of paper work. There will not be any medal for my student. Now mind you, when signing up for these performance festivals, parents pay to allow their child in. So, now the district has an extra $19 for a no show. But that doesn't matter. I'm just so upset for my student. I can't remember being this upset in quite sometime. I really feel that I let him down even though mom tells me he's fine. I want to do right by him and allow him to partake and show off his hard work. Well, he's getting signed up through another district and I am going to buy him the biggest medal that I can find (within reason, of course) and we'll celebrate on our own.
Now that I have that out of my system, I now return you to your regularly scheduled lives.......Carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment